|Introduction||Historical Background||Chronology||Geography||Biography||Technology||Ownership and Financing||General Bibliography|
|New England States||Connecticut||Torrington|
Torrington was incorporated as a town in 1740 and as a city in 1923.
The Wolcottville Water Company was incorporated in 1873 and built a gravity system in 1878 that served the town of Torrington.
The name of the company was changed to the Torrington Water Company in 1882.
Water is provided by the Torrington Water Company.
1873 Incorporating the Wolcottville Water Company. July 11, 1873.
1874 Amending charter of the Wolcottville Water Company. July 17, 1874.
1882 Amending Charter of Wolcottville Water Company. February 22, 1882. Name changed to Torrington Water Company.
1882 Torrington, from Engineering News 9:106-107 (April 1, 1882)
1888 "Torrington," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 1.
1890 "Torrington," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 2.
1891 "Torrington," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 3.
Torrington Register Souvenir Edition: An Illustrated and Descriptive
Exposition of Torrington, Connecticut, 1897
Page 17: The Torrington Water Co.
The Torrington Water Co., a corporation empowered to furnish water for fire, domestic and manufacturing purposes in the town of Torrington, was incorporated in 1878—a charter having been granted three years previous. The original capital was $30,000, but this has been increased from time to time and is now $100,000.
The company has three reservoirs—two in Goshen and one in Torrington—at distances of about five, four and two miles from the center of the borough. They are remarkably free from contaminating influences and have a combined capacity of upward of 200,000,000 gallons. They are fed by springs and pure mountain brooks; analysis made from time to time by the State Board of Health and others show the water to be of exceptional purity and the supply is practically unlimited.
It is a gravity system, the fall being about 175 feet, and the pressure in the business and many of the residential portions of the borough will average about 75 pounds to the inch. About twenty-two miles of pipe have been laid; about seventy hydrants, public and private, at convenient distances apart, have been placed in the town and the pipe lines are being extended and the number of hydrants increased as fast as the needs require.
The service is kept in a high state of efficiency, no place of its size is better provided in respect to its water system than is Torrington, or with one giving more satisfactory results, and the company while progressive is liberal and accommodating in its treatment of patrons.
The officers of the company are I. W. Brooks, president; C. L. McNeil, secretary and treasurer, and O. R. Fyler, superintendent.
1897 "Torrington," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 4.
1914 Mary A. Hayes v. The Torrington Water Co., 68 Conn. 609, December 2, 1914, Supreme Court of Errors of Connecticut
Water Company Obtains Judgment," Fire and Water Engineering
58:395 (December 8, 1915)
© 2018 Morris A. Pierce