|Introduction||Historical Background||Chronology||Geography||Biography||Technology||Ownership and Financing||General Bibliography|
|New England States||Massachusetts||Turners Falls|
Turners Falls is an unincorporated village in the town of Montague.
The Proprietors of the Upper Locks and Canals on Connecticut River in the county of Hampshire was reincorporated in 1866 as the Turners Falls Company. This company built a water system in 1873 under the direction of William P. Crocker, an engineer who was the brother of Colonel Alvah Crocker.
The Turner Falls Fire District was authorized to build a water works in 1886 and constructed one that same year.
Water is provided by the Turners Falls Water Department.
1886 An act to supply the Turner's Falls Fire District with pure water. June 3, 1886.
1884 Turners Falls, from Engineering News 11:290 (June 7, 1884)
1888 "Turner's Falls," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 1.
1890 "Turner's Falls," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 2.
1891 "Turners Falls," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 3.
1897 "Turners Falls," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 4.
of Montague: a typical Puritan town, by Edward Pearson Pressey
Page 199: William P. Crocker, a brother of Colonel Crocker, was the first engineer of the company and made all the plans.
and Proceedings of the Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association,
Page 434: The first water supply of the village was furnished by the Turners Falls Company through an aqueduct system supplying water from the river. A permanent and complete supply was introduced from Lake Pleasant in 1886.
© 2018 Morris A. Pierce