|History of the Campuses and Buildings of the University of Rochester|
|United States Hotel||Prince Street Campus||Eastman School of Music||Medical Center||River Campus||Mid-Campus||South Campus||Mt. Hope Campus||Graduate, Family and Veteran Housing||Central Utilities||Other Off-Site Buildings|
Village around 1950
|1947 Home in University Village, from "The
Jackson Family at Home," Rochester Review 25(3):11
Q Wing is visible in the background.
|University Village Pictures from The University of Rochester: The First Hundred Years (1950), Page 79.|
University Village was built in 1947 to provide housing for 89 veterans and their families. It located along Lattimore Road behind Helen Wood Hall and was demolished in 1953.
1946 "UR to Receive 40 Temporary Houses for Vets," Democrat and Chronicle, February 1, 1946, Page 15.
Allocated More Housing Units," Campus, April 12, 1946, Page
Additional temporary housing units for Both married and single veteran students have been allocated to the University of Rochester by the Federal Public Housing Authority.
The University has accepted the new units,_which are expected to be available for the September term, subject to finding a suitable site on University property. The FPHA's offer also is subject to federal funds being available.
The new units would provide additional dwelling for 50 married veterans, and dormitory quarters for 50 single veterans. With the 33 family units and accommodations for 94 single veterans already assigned to the University by the FPHA, this would make a total of 83 family units, and dormitories for 144 single veterans.
Work of erecting the first group of temporary housing facilities is expected to begin in a few weeks. The 33 family units will consist of 13 buildings with two, four, or six apartments, each having living room, kitchenette, two bedrooms, and toilet and bath. The first dormitory units to accommodate 94 single veterans will consist of two T-shaped structures with sleeping quarters for 47 men each, a central lounge, and toilet and shower facilities, to be located back of Burton and Crosby Halls, near River Boulevard. The first units for married veterans will be on Lattimore Road, adjacent to the nurses' dormitory of Strong Memorial Hospital.
1946 "Married Vets Move to New Home at FHA Opens Crittenden Site," The Campus, November 22, 1946, Page 3.
Village Houses Married Student Veterans," Rochester Review
25(3):10-11 (January-February 1947)
Picture of home in University Village.
Water, Gas Hits Housing Area," Democrat and Chronicle, March
29, 1950, Page 15.
Article says University Village, but it was probably University Park apartments
of the University of Rochester, 1850-1962, by Arthur J.
May. Expanded edition with notes
Chapter 33, The First Century Ends
The Federal Public Housing Authority (1946) allocated funds to build two makeshift T-shaped structures to accommodate about 145 single war veterans, to the north of the existing dormitories, and to lay out a similar housing complex for married veterans, their wives and babies, on a Lattimore Road tract southwest of Helen Wood Hall; administrative officers kept saying that more permanent residence halls were urgently needed. The River Campus "barracks" with their thin walls were noisy, making study and sleeping difficult, and protests were registered almost daily. In 1950 the trustees agreed that drawings should be prepared for additional dormitories, and recreation lounges were blocked out in Burton and Crosby Halls.
Delayed by shortage of plumbing and other supplies, the family units--over eighty of them--on the Lattimore Road area were not fully ready for occupancy until 1948, and they served their purpose until demolished in 1953. Tenants liked the low rent, set out trees in the name of beautification, and cultivated vegetable gardens. Demand for quarters, however, far outstripped the supply; of some 250 married undergraduates only about thirty-five obtained lodgings at University Village, or, as it was dubbed, "The Mud Flats." Appeals went out to Rochester homeowners to rent idle rooms to student veterans and their families.
© 2021 Morris A. Pierce