|History of the Campuses and Buildings of the University of Rochester|
|United States Hotel||Prince Street Campus||Eastman School of Music||Medical Center||River Campus||Mid-Campus||South Campus||Mt. Hope Campus||Graduate, Family and Veteran Housing||Central Utilities||Other Off-Site Buildings|
|River Campus||Veteran Dormitories
in the shadow of the Rush Rhees Library tower, these temporary
veterans' dormitories are helping toward a partial solution of the
housing problem. The three L-shaped buildings like the one shown here will shelter a total of 150 single veterans among the student body
||1951 Aerial Photo showing the three
|Veterans' Dorm being scrapped|
The Federal Public Housing Authority provided temporary dormitories for 145 single war veterans that were opened in 1946 and demolished 1952. They were replaced by two new permanent dormitories, Hoeing and Lovejoy.
1946 "University Allocated More Housing Units," Campus, April 12, 1946, Page 1.
Additional temporary housing units for Both married and single veteran students have been allocated to the University of Rochester by the Federal Public Housing Authority.
The University has accepted the new units, which are expected to be available for the September term, subject to finding a suitable site on University property. The FPHA's offer also is subject to federal funds being available.
The new units would provide additional dwelling for 50 married veterans, and dormitory quarters for 50 single veterans. With the 33 family units and accommodations for 94 single veterans already assigned to the University by the FPHA, this would make a total of 83 family units, and dormitories for 144 single veterans.
Work of erecting the first group of temporary housing facilities is expected to begin in a few weeks. The 33 family units will consist of 13 buildings with two, four, or six apartments, each having living room, kitchenette, two bedrooms, and toilet and bath. The first dormitory units to accommodate 94 single veterans will consist of two T-shaped structures with sleeping quarters for 47 men each, a central lounge, and toilet and shower facilities, to be located back of Burton and Crosby Halls, near River Boulevard. The first units for married veterans will be on Lattimore Road, adjacent to the nurses' dormitory of Strong Memorial Hospital.
1946 "Ground Broken for 2 Vet Units at UR," Democrat and Chronicle, June 7, 1946, Page 18.
of the University of Rochester, 1850-1962, by Arthur J.
May. Expanded edition with notes
Chapter 33, The First Century Ends
Notwithstanding the congestion in the dormitories--two men occupying rooms intended for one--a few; University School students were assigned rooms and the Faculty Club was restored in the west end of Burton Hall. State aid financed a slight enlargement of living space in the Stadium Dormitory, and the national government stepped in with money to alleviate the housing headache. The Federal Public Housing Authority (1946) allocated funds to build two makeshift T-shaped structures to accommodate about 145 single war veterans, to the north of the existing dormitories, and to lay out a similar housing complex for married veterans, their wives and babies, on a Lattimore Road tract southwest of Helen Wood Hall; administrative officers kept saying that more permanent residence halls were urgently needed. The River Campus "barracks" with their thin walls were noisy, making study and sleeping difficult, and protests were registered almost daily. In 1950 the trustees agreed that drawings should be prepared for additional dormitories, and recreation lounges were blocked out in Burton and Crosby Halls.
Chapter 35, Reunion of the Colleges
Shouts of undergraduate joy ascended when it was revealed in 1952 that the six-year old barracks would be replaced by two residence halls, L-shaped and similar in appearance to the older dormitories, with which they would form a sort of quadrangle; financed out of University resources, each structure would accommodate 150 men.
© 2021 Morris A. Pierce