|History of the Campuses and Buildings of the University of Rochester|
|United States Hotel||Prince Street Campus||Eastman School of Music||Medical Center||River Campus||Mid-Campus||South Campus||Mt. Hope Campus||Graduate, Family and Veteran Housing||Central Utilities||Other Off-Site Buildings|
|South Campus||Whipple Park Apartments|
|Whipple Park Apartments
A second permanent apartment complex for married graduate students was opened on the South Campus and opened in 1968. The complex has 250 units and was named for George Hoyt Whipple and his wife. He was the first dean of the School of Medicine and Dentistry.
1968 "Graduate Student Apartment Complex Named for Dr. and Mrs. Whipple," Currents, July 30, 1968
Four streets in Whipple Park have been named after former members of UR's faculty.
The main access street to the apartments was named Murlin Drive, after the late John Murlin, professor of physiology from 1917 until 1945. The interior streets were named Conant, Quinby and Richardson Roads after Thomas Conant, professor of Hebrew (1850-54); Isaac Quinby, professor of mathematics and natural history (1851-84); and John Richardson, professor of Latin and literature (1850-68).
1968 "UR Housing Nears Completion," Democrat and Chronicle, August 1, 1968, Page 6B.
© 2021 Morris A. Pierce