|Introduction||Historical Background||Chronology||Geography||Biography||Technology||Ownership and Financing||General Bibliography|
Gilroy was incorporated as a city in 1870.
The first water works was built by the Gilroy Water Company in 1872.
The city bought the system in 1887 for $18,000.
Water is provided by the City of Gilroy.
1881 History of Santa Clara County, California: Including Its Geography, Geology, Topography, Climatography and Description
Pages 301: Gilroy Water Company. On August 29, 1870, the privilege to supply the town of Gilroy with water was granted to Donald McKenzie, D. S. K. Buick, William H. Hall, Martin Corcoran, and Alexander Hay, this association being afterwards duly incorporated. The water is obtained from the Uvas creek, where a dam is constructed distant from the city about nine miles in a north-westerly direction; it is thence transferred by flume to a reservoir about two miles and a half from Gilroy, brought into the city by a thirteen-inch main, and through pipes to customers. The present officers are: W. H. Hall, President; E. McLaughlin, Manager; C. C. Worthington, Secretary, and J. D. Hall, Superintendent.
1883 Gilroy, Engineering News, 10:39-40 (January 27, 1883)
1888 "Gilroy," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 1.
1890 "Gilroy," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 2.
1891 "Gilroy," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 3.
1897 "Gilroy," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 4.
© 2021 Morris A. Pierce