|Introduction||Historical Background||Chronology||Geography||Biography||Technology||Ownership and Financing||General Bibliography|
Pueblo was incorporated as a town in 1870 and as city in 1886.
The town built a Holly water works system that began service in 1874.
Water is provided by the City of Pueblo.
1882 "Pueblo," Engineering News 9:50 (February 11, 1882)
1882 Pueblo from "The Water-Supply of Certain Cities and Towns of the United States," by Walter G. Elliot, C. E., Ph. D.
1888 "Pueblo," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 1.
1890 "Pueblo," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 2.
of the State of Colorado, by Frank Hall
Page 459: In early days Pueblo's waterworks were of primitive design an ex whisky barrel (of which there was no scarcity) filled with the muddy river water, was drawn about from house to house, by burro or mule, and each settler received his quota in a barrel at his front door. This was the origin of the water system. It next developed into a large wooden tank mounted on a wagon whose driver, facetiously dubbed the "Worthy Chief Templar," was abused whenever a tardy appearance was made of a Monday morning.
June 24th, 1874, was a red letter day in the history of the city of Pueblo, as it witnessed the inauguration of her greatest public enterprise the Holly waterworks for which the people had voted $130,000. At one o'clock of that day all business houses were closed and under Masonic ceremonies the corner stone of the waterworks building was laid, amid rejoicing of the people en masse. The Deputy Grand Master presented the corn of nourishment after the Grand Master had pronounced the corner stone "plumb, square and level, well formed, true and trusty" which was sprinkled on the stone by the Grand Master; the Senior Grand Warden presented the vessel containing the wine of refreshment, and the Junior Grand Warden handed the vessel with the oil of joy, both of which were poured over the stone. The Grand Master then extended his hands and made the invocation: "May the Author of all good bless the inhabitants of this place with all necessary conveniences and comforts of life, assist in the erection and completion of this building, protect the workmen from every accident, long preserve this building from decay, and grant unto us all a bountiful supply of corn of nourishment, the wine of refreshment, and the oil of joy." The entire system was erected by the National Building Company of St. Louis, and its success played an important part in the development of the city. The organization of an efficient fire department ensued as a matter of course, for the general protection. It consisted of two hose companies and a hook and ladder company, with W. R. Macomb as chief.
1891 "Pueblo," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 3.
1897 "Pueblo," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 4.
© 2020 Morris A. Pierce