|Introduction||Historical Background||Chronology||Geography||Biography||Technology||Ownership and Financing||General Bibliography|
Morgan Park was incorporated as a village in 1882 and annexed to the city of Chicago in 1914.
Water works were built in 1874, probably by the Blue Island Land and Building Company, which had established the community in 1869. Water from an artesian well was pumped into a tank with a windmill, with a steam pump added later.
The works were probably transferred to the village when it was incorporated in 1882 or sometime thereafter.
Water is provided by the city of Chicago.
1874 "Ho! for Morgan Park," Chicago Tribune, June 7, 1874, Page 1.
Excellent Water-Works, distributing the water through the streets, the same as in the city. Advertisement for the Blue Island Land and Building Company.
1885 Morgan Park, Engineering News, 13:318 (May 16, 1885)
1888 "Morgan Park," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 1.
1890 "Morgan Park," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 2.
1891 "Morgan Park," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 3.
of Morgan Park v. Austin Wiswell et al., 155 Ill. 262, April
1, 1895, Supreme Court of Illinois
Assessment for water works improvements.
Fire Insurance Map from Chicago, Cook County, Illinois. Volume E.
Sheet 96 shows Morgan Park Water Works.
1897 "Morgan Park," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 4.
© 2019 Morris A. Pierce