|Introduction||Historical Background||Chronology||Geography||Biography||Technology||Ownership and Financing||General Bibliography|
Cumberland was established in 1750.
The Cumberland Water Company was incorporated in 1816, with John Scott, Peter Londermilk, Samuel Smith, George Thistle, David Schriver, and Michael C. Sprigg appointed to sell stock. This company failed in its attempt to build a system.
A second Cumberland Water Company was incorporated in 1846 with Joseph Shriver, H. R. Hazlehurst, Thomas Ch. Atkinson, Thomas L. McKaig, and John G. Hoffman appointed as commissioners to sell stock. This company failed to open its subscription book in the time allotted in the charter, but this was done after the charter was amended in 1850. The company does not appear to have built anything.
The city of Cumberland was given authority to issue $60,000 in bonds to construct a water works in 1864, but the estimated cost was $80,000. In 1870 the city gained authority to issue $100,000 in bonds, and in the meantime had been introduced to the Holly water system. After some investigation the city contracted for this system, which was demonstrated on September 30, 1871.
Water is currently provided by the City of Cumberland.
1816 An act for introducing a copious supply of Water into the Town of Cumberland, January 5, 1816. Incorporated the Cumberland Water Company with a capital stock of $10,000.
1846 An act to incorporate the Cumberland Water Company, January 11, 1846. Capital stock $25,000.
1850 A supplement to an act entitled, an act to incorporate the Cumberland Water Company, passed December Session, eighteen hundred and forty-five, chapter two hundred and eighty. February 27, 1850.
act to repeal Sections twenty-three, thirty-one, thirty-two,
thirty-three, thirty- five, fifty-three, and fifty-four, of the first
Article of the Code of Public Local Laws and to re-enact the
same with amendments and insert additional sections, relating to the Charter of the city of Cumberland. March 6, 1864.
act to repeal sections five and six of the Act of eighteen hundred and
sixty-four, chapter one hundred and twenty-one, an Act repealing
sections twenty-three, thirty-one, thirty-two, thirty-three,
thirty-five, fifty-three and fifty-four of the first Article of the Code of Public Local Laws of Allegany County, relating to the charter of the city of Cumberland, and to re-enact the same with amendments. April 7, 1870.
1878 History of Cumberland, (Maryland) from the
Time of the Indian Town, Caiuctucuc, in 1728, Up to the Present Day,
by William Harrison Lowdermilk
Page 302-3: At the January session of the Legislature, in 1816, a petition was granted for the incorporation of the Cumberland Water Company, the object being to introduce soft water into the town. The Company was authorized to raise a capital of $10,000, by the issue of 500 shares of stock at $20 per share. The subscription books were to be opened under the care of John Scott, Peter Lowdermilk, Samuel Smith, George Thistle, David Schriver and Michael C. Sprigg, who were to have ample powers and privileges. The project was never carried into effect.
Page 375-76:  October 7.— In order to furnish better facilities for protection against fire, the authorities had large cisterns built in the streets in various sections of the town. These proved very useful on many occasions, and were relied upon until the establishment of the Holly system of water works, in 1871, when they became useless.
Page 425-6: The necessity which had long existed for a satisfactory system of water works was now fully recognized, and in 1870 a committee, consisting of Mayor Lowe, W. A. Piatt, F. M. Offutt, and George H. Myers, of the City Council; James M. Schley and Asa Willison, of the Water Board; T. L. Patterson, engineer; Dr. S. P. Smith, W. E. Weber and Will H. Lowdermilk, was sent by the city to Dayton, Ohio, for the purpose of examining into the merits of the Holly system of water supply and fire protection, in use at that place. The committee reported unanimously in favor of that character of water works, and the city at once entered into a contract with the Messrs. Holly for the construction of the necessary machinery, and issued $100,000 of bonds to meet the expenses. In 1871 the works were completed, and they are still in successful operation.
1882 "The Water Works," from History of Western Maryland: Being a History of Cumberland, Montgomery, Carroll, Washington, Allegany, and Garrett Counties from the Earliest Period to the Present Day, Including Biographical Sketches of Their Representative Men, Volume 2, by J. Thomas Scharf
1883 Cumberland, from Engineering News 10:10 (January 8, 1883)
1888 "Cumberland," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 1.
1890 "Cumberland," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 2.
1891 "Cumberland," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 3.
1897 "Cumberland," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 4.
© 2015 Morris A. Pierce