|Introduction||Historical Background||Chronology||Geography||Biography||Technology||Ownership and Financing||General Bibliography|
East Saginaw was incorporated as a city in 1859 and was consolidated into Saginaw on April 1, 1890.
The city built a Holly water works system that began service in December, 1873 using steam-powered Quadruplex and rotary pumps. A second Quadruplex was added in 1883 and a Gaskill pumping engine in 1889.
Water is supplied by the city of Saginaw.
1872 An Ordinance relative to the appointment of Commissioners of Water Works, and the Duties of Such Commissioners, January 29, 1872.
1873 An to incorporate a board of water commissioners for the city of East Saginaw, to supply the city with pure and wholesome water, and to provide for the completion and management of the East Saginaw water works. February 28, 1873.
878 "The Holly System of Water Supply and Fire Protection for Cities and Villages," Scientific American Supplement, 6(140supp):2219-2234 (September 7, 1878)
1881 East Saginaw, Engineering News, 8:469 (November 19, 1881)
of Saginaw County, Michigan
Page 543: The Water Works
1882 East Saginaw from "The Water-Supply of Certain Cities and Towns of the United States," by Walter G. Elliot, C. E., Ph. D.
1884 Report of the Board of Water Commissioner and other documents from 1873-1883 including rates
1888 "East Saginaw," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 1.
1890 "East Saginaw," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 2.
1891 "East Saginaw," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 3.
of Saginaw County, Michigan: Historical, Commercial, Biographical,
Pages 225-229: The Holly Water Works
© 2019 Morris A. Pierce