|Introduction||Historical Background||Chronology||Geography||Biography||Technology||Ownership and Financing||General Bibliography|
Evart was incorporated as a village in 1872 and as a city in 1930.
The village built a small system that began service in December, 1879, using a steam-driven Dixon pump to distribute water through Wyckoff wood pipes to several fire hydrants. A Perkins pump was added in February, 1880 as the Dixon pump did not provide a smooth flow of water for firemen.
The village contracted with M. Walker to build a new water system that began service in February, 1890.
Water is supplied by the city of Evart.
1879 "Water Works," Evart Review, June 6, 1879, Page 3.
Proposed water works system.
Water Works," Evart
Review, December 5, 1879, Page 7
Description of system.
Review, February 27, 1880, Page 7.
From the special committee on purchasing a pump, reporting that they had purchased of M. Walker, a Perkins pump with steam and water attachments complete, for the sum of $875.00.
No.30," Evart Review, April 23, 1880, Page 2
Relating to, and Governing the use of water.
1880 "The New Pump," Evart Review, June 11, 1880, Page 3.
County Enterprise, April 6, 1881, Page 5.
The Evart water works are a success.
1883 Evart, Engineering News, 10:452 (October 13, 1883)
and Biographical Album of Osceola County
Page 372: Evart Fire Department, In this department Evart has secured the Holly system, with the Walker improvement, which were constructed here in 1879, at a cost of $16,000, as now completed. It is located on Main Street near the river. The building is well constructed, with dwelling-house attachments for the engineer and his family. There are three engines, with three pumps. The engines can make 355 revolutions a minute, and throw three gallons of water to each revolution. One-half of a cord of wood is all that is required for every 24 hours. Wood pipes are laid through the town, which form connections with 15 hydrants. The mains are 8, 6, 4, and 2-inch. Two wells, which are sunk to a depth of 12 feet, supply the water for the use of the town. When a fire breaks out the water is taken from a creek which runs near by. An alarm is placed in the engine house with wires connecting with alarm stations about the town. Edward Sith is the engineer in charge of this department.
This is a very superior system for extinguishing fires, as it is always ready and can be used at a moment's warning, and the power is sufficient to throw the water to any height desired.
1888 "Evart," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 1.
Free Press, February 14, 1890, Page 4.
Evart's new water works have been put in by M. Walker, of Fenton, coasting $11,900, and are now completed. The new water works building, pumps, wells, etc., were constructed to take the place of those in use over ten years, but which have become too small for the purposes of the village.
1890 "Evart," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 2.
1891 "Evart," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 3.
1893 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map from Evart, Osceola County, Michigan. September 1893
1897 "Evart," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 4.
1899 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map from Evart, Osceola County, Michigan. May 1899
1904 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map from Evart, Osceola County, Michigan. May 1904
1910 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map from Evart, Osceola County, Michigan. May 1910
1920 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map from Evart, Osceola County, Michigan. November 1920
1942 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map from Evart, Osceola County, Michigan. November 1942
© 2019 Morris A. Pierce