|Introduction||Historical Background||Chronology||Geography||Biography||Technology||Ownership and Financing||General Bibliography|
|Middle Atlantic States||New York||Camden|
Camden was settled about 1792.
The Camden Spring-water Company was incorporated in 1844 by Samuel B. Hinkley, Jefferson Colton, and George W. Wood "for the purpose of supplying the inhabitants of Camden village, in the county of Oneida, with pure and wholesome water." This company built a system and their charter was amended in 1859 to tax their capital stock to pay for the upkeep of the system. The company was operating as late as 1891 when it paid $0.61 tax on $70 worth of property, and no further information has been found about this company.
The Village of Camden built its own gravity water system in 1886.
Water is currently provided by the Village of Camden.
1844 An act to incorporate the Camden Spring-water Company in the county of Oneida. April 26, 1844.
1859 An act to amend the charter of the Camden Spring Water Company, in the county of Oneida. April 18, 1859.
1888 "Camden," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 1.
1890 "Camden," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 2.
1891 "Camden," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 3.
1892 Proceedings of the Board of Supervisors of the County of Oneida, New York 1891
County and Its People: A Descriptive work on Oneida County, New
York, edited by Daniel E. Wager
Page 424: Camden Village. Public water works were established by the village corporation in 1886, water being brought from Emmons Brook, giving about 175 feet head. About fifty hydrants are placed in the streets and mains laid throughout the principal streets, making an effective agency for extinguishing fires. The village was bonded for $40,000 to build the system.
1897 "Camden," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 4.
© 2016 Morris A. Pierce