|Introduction||Historical Background||Chronology||Geography||Biography||Technology||Ownership and Financing||General Bibliography|
|Middle Atlantic States||New York||Fort Edward|
Fort Edward was first established as a military post in 1709.
The earliest water works in Fort Edwards were constructed around 1800 by William Finn, Dr. John Lawrence, David Scovill, and others. In 1805, after having "already at a considerable expense conducted the water from the fountain to the store-house of Doctor John Lawrence," the proprietors of the aqueduct petitioned the legislature for regulation and protection, which as granted by "An ACT for the better regulating and protecting the Aqueducts in the Village of Fort-Edward" on April 10, 1805.
The Fort Edward Water-Works Company was incorporated on April 10, 1855 by Russell W. Pratt, John Mclntyre, George H. Taylor, Solomon Durkee and John Parry. This company built a gravity system using cement-lined wrought-iron pipe with lead services.
The Village of Fort Edward built a new water system in 1894 and continues to supply water.
1805 An ACT for the better regulating and protecting the Aqueducts in the Village of Fort-Edward, April 10, 1805.
1855 AN ACT to incorporate the Fort Edward Water-Works Company, April 10, 1855.
of Washington County, New York: With Illustrations and Biographical
Sketches : Some of Its Prominent Men and Pioneers. by
Page 320: THE WATER SUPPLY.
Nearly or quite as early as the year 1800, an aqueduct was constructed for the purpose of supplying water to the few inhabitants of the locality which is now Fort Edward village. William Finn, Dr. John Lawrence, David Scovill, and others, were proprietors of this enterprise, and their supply was drawn from springs north of the village. The old aqueduct shares passed through various hands into those of Russell W. Pratt and other gentlemen, by whom the present water-works were constructed. The Fort Edward Water-works Company was incorporated April 10, 1855. President, Russell W. Pratt; secretary, John Parry. The original stockholders were R. W. Pratt, John McIntyre, George H. Taylor, S. R. Durkee, John Parry, and William J. Whitehouse. Their supply of water is drawn from two reservoirs, fed by perennial springs. The Case reservoir is upon lands of Sandford Case, and the McIntyre reservoir is so called be cause constructed on land of John McIntyre. Both these lie about one mile from the village, towards the northeast and north respectively. The company have laid about five miles of pipe, and furnish water to a large portion of the village, and to the tanks of the Rensselaer and Saratoga railroad. The present officers of the company are G. H. Taylor, president; David Underwood, vice-president; S. R. Durkee, treasurer; Zach. Taylor, secretary. A portion of the north part of the village is supplied with excellent water from the McCrea spring, owned by George Bradley, Esq.
1888 "Fort Edward," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 1.
1890 "Fort Edward," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 2.
1891 "Fort Edward," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 3.
1897 "Fort Edward," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 4.
© 2015 Morris A. Pierce