|Introduction||Historical Background||Chronology||Geography||Biography||Technology||Ownership and Financing||General Bibliography|
|Middle Atlantic States||New York||Fort Plain|
Fort Plain was incorporated as a village in 1832.
The Fort Plain Water Works Company was incorporated in 1857 by Peter G. Webster, Harvey E. Williams, David Wieting, Leander Fox, S. O. Austin, Solomon Smith, and David W. Erwin "for the purpose of supplying the village of Fort Plain with pure and wholesome water." No evidence has been found that this company built a system.
Another Fort Plain Water-Works Company built a gravity system in 1885 that was sold at auction to its bondholders in 1895 after the village had built its own water systems.
The Village of Fort Plain built gravity water works that began operation in December, 1895.
Water is provided by the Village of Fort Plain.
1857 An act to incorporate the Fort Plain Water Works Company. April 15, 1857.
Manufacturer and Builder 17:110 (May 1885)
The Fort Plain Water Works Co., lately incorporated to supply the town of Fort Plain, N. Y. with water, will build works on the gravity system, with an estimated cost of $60,000.
1888 "Fort Plain," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 1.
1890 "Fort Plain," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 2.
1891 "Fort Plain," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 3.
Plain," from Manual of American
Water Works, Volume 4.
© 2007 Morris A. Pierce