|Introduction||Historical Background||Chronology||Geography||Biography||Technology||Ownership and Financing||General Bibliography|
|Middle Atlantic States||New York||Hillburn|
Hillburn was founded in 1872 by the Ramapo Wheel & Foundry Company, whose works were located in nearby Ramapo. Hillburn was incorporated as a village in 1893.
The Ramapo Wheel & Foundry Company built a gravity water system in 1873. The system was bought by the Mountain Spring Water Company in 1893 when the village of incorporated.
The village bought the water system in 1939 for $27,000.
Water is supplied by Suez New York and distributed by the Village of Hillburn.
1883 Hillburn, Engineering News, 10:121 (March 17, 1883)
History of Rockland County, by Frank Bertangue Green
Page 399: Woodburn, or Hilburn. In 1873, water was carried into the village, and eery dwelling supplied.
1888 "Hillburn," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 1.
1890 "Hillburn," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 2.
1891 "Hillburn," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 3.
1897 "Hillburn," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 4.
Report of the State Department of Health of New York for the Year
Ending December 31, 1912, Volume 33
Pages 680-684: Hilburn
of the Assembly of the State of New York, Volume 22
Application of the Ramapo Mountain Water Power and Service Company, Approved August 24, 1916.
1939 In the Matter of the Application of the VILLAGE OF HILLBURN for Approval of Its Acquisition of a Water Supply System Now Owned by Mountain Spring Water Company and the Enlargement and Improvement of Said Water Supply System
1950 In the Matter of Application of the VILLAGE OF HILLBURN, for Approval of Construction of a Well as Additional Source of Water Supply for the Water Supply System of the Village of Hillburn.
© 2018 Morris A. Pierce