|Introduction||Historical Background||Chronology||Geography||Biography||Technology||Ownership and Financing||General Bibliography|
|Middle Atlantic States||New York||Warwick|
Warwick was incorporated as a village in 1867.
The village built a gravity system that began operating in January, 1872.
Water is provided by the Village of Warwick.
1871 An act to amend an act to incorporate the village of Warwick, passed April fifteenth, eighteen hundred and sixty-seven, so as to enable the inhabitants of said village to obtain a supply of water for public and private uses. April 4, 1871
1871 "Proposals for Water Works, Village of Warwick," New York Daily Herald, June 12, 1871, Page 3.
Evening Gazette (Port Jervis, New York), October 14, 1871,
The Warwick water works are so far advanced that they will be in use before winter sets in.
1882 Warwick, Engineering News, 9:199 (June 17, 1882)
1882 Warwick, from "The Water-Supply of Certain Cities and Towns of the United States," by Walter G. Elliot, C. E., Ph. D.
1888 "Warwick," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 1.
1890 "Warwick," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 2.
1891 "Warwick," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 3.
1897 "Warwick," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 4.
History of Orange County, New York, edited by Russel Headley
Page 452: Water-Works. - The village was first supplied with water in 1872. The brook running north through the Thomas Welling and P. E. Sanford farms to the Wawayanda creek furnishes the supply, and is called Mistucky, This name is an Indian one, from an Indian village located near the reservoirs, originally called Miskoutucky, signifying red hills or plains.
In 1871 preparations were made for the building of a dam of 131 feet across this brook, which when completed made a reservoir of 1 90/100 acres on the Welling farm and 1 50/100 acres on the Sanford farm, both of which pieces of land were acquired by the village. Upon the completion of the work and the introduction of water in the village, a celebration took place in honor of the event in January, 1872.
This reservoir is situated one and a half miles south from the center of the village and covers over three acres of land, with a capacity of eight million gallons of water. The works were constructed at a cost of $25,000,
In 1890 the village had outgrown the old supply and steps were taken to increase the same. Accordingly a second reservoir was constructed about a quarter of a mile to the south of the first dam, with a capacity of thirty million gallons,
In 1903 the sum of $23,000 was appropriated for the enlargement of water mains and the construction of new ones.
the Matter of Application of the VILLAGE OF WARWICK, for Approval of
Acquisition of an Additional Source of Water Supply and of Financial and
Engineering Plans for Construction of Such Addition
© 2018 Morris A. Pierce