|Introduction||Historical Background||Chronology||Geography||Biography||Technology||Ownership and Financing||General Bibliography|
|Middle Atlantic States||New York||Wellsville|
Wellsville was incorporated as a village in 1857.
The village held a referendum on July 2, 1883 and voted to raise a tax of $1,200 to pay annual rent for 30 hydrants for 30 years. A franchise was awarded to W.S. Kuhn and his associates on August 30, 1883 for a period of thirty years from July 1, 1883. The Wellsville Water Company was incorporated on September 29, 1883 and began service on December 1, 1883. Kuhn transferred the company to the American Water Works and Guarantee Company in 1886.
The village bought the water company on September 1, 1915 for $75,000
Water is provided by the Village of Wellsville,which has a history page.
1885 Wellsville, Engineering News, 14:220-221 (October 3, 1885)
1888 "Wellsville," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 1.
1890 "Wellsville," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 2.
1891 "Wellsville," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 3.
1897 "Wellsville," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 4.
1913 Application of the Wellsville Water Company of the village of Wellsville, Allegany county, for a change of the source of water supply. Approved July 8, 1913.
1915 Application of the Village of Wellsville for approval of its acquisition of the existing water system of the Wellsville Water Company, Approved July 15, 1915.
© 2018 Morris A. Pierce