|Introduction||Historical Background||Chronology||Geography||Biography||Technology||Ownership and Financing||General Bibliography|
|Middle Atlantic States||New York||Williamsburg|
Williamsburg was settled by the Dutch in the 1630s and originally known as Williamsburgh. It was incorporated as a village on April 14, 1827 and as a city on April 7, 1851. Its existence as a city was short-lived as it was annexed to the adjacent city of Brooklyn on April 17, 1854. Brooklyn in turn was consolidated with New York City in 1898.
The Williamsburgh Water Works Company was incorporated in 1853 by Noah Waterbury, John F. Greene, Andrew B. Hodges, A. Thomas Smith, Isaiah Nichols, Miner H. Keith, and Thomas Greene "For the purpose of supplying the said city of Williamsburgh and its vicinity with pure and wholesome water."
An 1853 law changed the name of the company of the Long Island Waterworks Company and gave it the right to seek permission to serve the City of Brooklyn. Another law in 1855 changed the name to the Brooklyn Water Company. Another 1855 law incorporated the Nassau Water Company and gave it the right to purchase the Brooklyn Water Company. This company then built water works that served the consolidated city of Brooklyn.
The company bought water rights to several springs in the area that were necessary to provide an adequate supply of water to the growing communities.
Water for the former city of Williamsburg is provided by the City of New York.
1852 An act to incorporate the Williamsburgh water works company. April 16, 1852.
1853 An act to amend an act entitled "An act to incorporate the Williamsburgh Waterworks Company" passed 16th April, 1852. June 8, 1853. Name changed to Long Island Waterworks Company and authority extended to the city of Brooklyn.
Island Water Works Company," Brooklyn Evening Star,
September 27, 1853, Page 3.
In the preliminary investigations and surveys, John B. Jarvis, Wm. J. McAlpine, Ward B. Burnett, Daniel Marsh, and J.S. Stoddard, Esqs. have been consulted or employed.
1855 An act further to amend an act entitled "An act to incorporate the Williamsburgh Water Works Company," passed April 16, 1852. February 24, 1855. Name changed to the Brooklyn Water Company to serve the consolidated city of Brooklyn.
© 2017 Morris A. Pierce