|Introduction||Historical Background||Chronology||Geography||Biography||Technology||Ownership and Financing||General Bibliography|
Bellaire was incorporated as a village in 1860.
The village built a water works in 1872 that pumped water from the Ohio river using Wyckoff wood pipes and some cast iron pipes.
Water is supplied by the village of Bellaire.
1881 Bellaire, from Engineering News 8:394 (October 1, 1881)
from "The Water-Supply of Certain Cities and Towns of the United States,"
by Walter G. Elliot, C. E., Ph. D.
from Manual of American Water Works,
1890 "Bellaire," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 2.
1891 "Bellaire," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 3.
1897 "Bellaire," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 4.
history of Belmont County, Ohio, and representative citizens,
by A. T. McKelvey
Page 165-166: Bellaire. The Water-Works and Electric Power.
In 1872 the present water-works were voted for, and the proposition was carried. A committee consisting of E. G. Morgan, A. W. Anderson, C. C. Kelley, George Kern, H. M. Ingler, H. Bute, and Civil Engineer J. W. Yost, with E. B. Winans, secretary, was appointed to superintend the construction and the work was completed in 1873.
The reservoir has a capacity of 3,000,000 gallons and the water supply is obtained from the Ohio River and is distributed throughout the city in pipes.
The works are wholly inadequate to the needs of the people today, and several projects are on foot to construct a new system, one of which is a proposition to unite with Bridgeport and Martin’s Ferry in constructing a reservoir large enough to supply the three cities, the water to he obtained at Boggs’ Run two miles above Martin’s Ferry, and thereby receive a liberal supply of soft water free from the filth of the cities named.
© 2018 Morris A. Pierce