|Introduction||Historical Background||Chronology||Geography||Biography||Technology||Ownership and Financing||General Bibliography|
Sidney was incorporated as a village in 1834 and as city in 1897.
The village built a Holly water system that began service on October 24, 1873 using water-powered rotary pumps. The system was designed by Theodore R. Scowden. The village's 15 year contract for use of the water expired in 1888, and a new steam-powered plant was built that pumped water from wells and the Miami river into a standpipe.
Water is supplied by the city of Sidney.
1873 "Holly Water Works Celebration," The Shelby County Democrat, October 17, 1873, Page 3.
1882 Sidney, from Engineering News 9:74-75 (March 4, 1882)
1882 Sidney from "The Water-Supply of Certain Cities and Towns of the United States," by Walter G. Elliot, C. E., Ph. D.
of Shelby County, Ohio: With Illustrations and Biographical Sketches
of Some of Its Prominent Men and Pioneers
Page 362: Sidney waterworks. The officers of the incorporated village of Sidney feeling the necessity of a better protection against the destruction of property by fire, took into consideration the purchase of a fire engine of some kind. After investigating the utility of the different kinds of engines and appliances used for extinguishing fires, they believed that waterworks would be of the greatest utility to the town, not only as a protection against fire, but for street and household purposes.
Accordingly, in the winter or spring of 1873, they made an arrangement and entered into a contract with B. W. Maxwell to furnish the water for said works for a term of fifteen years at $800 per year. Said Maxwell agreeing to furnish the full capacity of Mosquito Creek, a stream largely supported by springs. The supply of water is sustained by two reservoirs, which are supposed to hold a supply for every emergency.
An agreement was made with the Holly Manufacturing Company of Lockporl, N. Y., to furnish two engines and water-wheels, with all the necessary machinery for the same, for the sum of $10,000, they agreeing that the engines should have the power and capacity to throw four one and a half-inch streams of water over the highest building in the town of Sidney.
A brick building was erected on the east bank of Miami River for the works. The works were put in complete and pipes laid in the fall of 1873. After the completion of the works a test was made; four streams were thrown over the Taylor building and the spire of the Presbyterian Church. The works stood the test and proved satisfactory, and were accepted.
There is at the present time 4^ miles of main pipe laid, with 42 fire-plugs and 147 hydrants for private use. The main pipe was bought at $55 per ton, and was laid down at $5 per ton. The total cost of the works, together with the building, pipes, etc., was $55,000.
L. C. Barkdull, James Lamb, and F. E. Hoover were elected as the first board of trustees. L. C. Barkdull had the principal supervision during the construction of the works. The present trustees are G. W. Hendershott, Pres., J. W. Skilleu, Sect., and Joseph M. Nutt.
from Manual of American Water Works,
1890 "Sidney," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 2.
1891 "Sidney," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 3.
1897 "Sidney," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 4.
Waterworks and Electric Light Building
© 2018 Morris A. Pierce