|Introduction||Historical Background||Chronology||Geography||Biography||Technology||Ownership and Financing||General Bibliography|
|Middle Atlantic States||Pennsylvania||Ashland|
Ashland was incorporated as a borough in 1857.
An application was made to the legislature in 1861 to incorporate the Ashland Water Company, but did not pass.
The Ashland Gas and Water Company was incorporated in 1865 by Michael Horan, George D. Haughawout, Charles Conner, William H. Gallaher, Edward Connelly and Lewis L. Bevan "for making, raising and introducing, into the borough of Ashland, in the county Schuylkill, a sufficient supply of gas and pure water." No evidence has been found that this company built anything.
The borough of Ashland built a gravity system that began operating in April, 1877.
The Ashland Area Municipal Authority was incorporated on September 17, 1991.
Water is provided by the
1861 Weekly Miners' Journal (Pottsville, Pennsylvania), March 16, 1861, Page 2.
Notice is hereby given that an application will be made to the present Legislature for an Act of Incorporation of the Ashland Water Company, to be located at or near the borough of Ashland, in the county of Schuylkill, for the purpose of introducing water from the Mahanoy Creek and its tributaries into said borough of Ashland. J. J. Connor, John S. Dye, A. P. Spinney, March 16, '61.
1865 An act to incorporate the Ashland Gas and Water Company. March 4, 1865.
1870 A supplement to an act, entitled “An Act to incorporate the Ashland Gas and Water Company,” approved the fourth day of March, Anno Domini one thousand eight hundred and sixty-five. March 14, 1870.
of Schuylkill County, Pa: With Illustrations and Biographical Sketches
of Some of Its Prominent Men and Pioneers
Page 182: The borough council in June, 1876, ordered a special election, on the question of increasing the indebtedness of the borough, to an amount not exceeding seven per cent., for the purpose of erecting water works. This election was held July 15th, and resulted in favor of the measure. July 27th, the council appointed as commissioners, D. Schneider, William Christian, Thomas Glenwright and Michael Garner on behalf, of the council, and J.B. Price, H. Trautman and M. Fannon, on behalf of the people, to construct works, subject to the approval of the council. Afterward Watkin Powell was added on behalf of the council and Emanuel Bast for the citizens. Frank Rentz was elected secretary of the commission, and he has been identified with the department from that time to the present. The source of supply selected was the Little Mahanoy creek, at a point some four miles distant from the borough, and ten acres of land were purchased at a cost of $4,500. The work was commenced September 1st, 1876, under Mr. Kassona's surveys. The dam is three hundred and forty-five feet above Centre and Third streets. The water is brought to the borough in twelve-inch mains and distributed through six-inch pipes. Bonds to the
amount of $60,000, at six per cent. interest, were issued by the department, $36,000 of which have been redeemed. Up to 1880 the cost of construction and extension was $63,000. Rents are charged to parties using the water. The interest and principal of the bonded indebtedness are paid by direct taxation. The department is managed by a committee of three members of the
borough council, elected in May of each year; and they control the operations of the superintendent, who is elected by the council.
1882 Ashland, from Engineering News, 9:199 (June 17, 1882)
1882 Ashland, from "The Water-Supply of Certain Cities and Towns of the United States," by Walter G. Elliot, C. E., Ph. D.
1888 "Ashland," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 1.
1890 "Ashland," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 2.
1891 "Ashland," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 3.
1897 "Ashland," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 4.
© 2017 Morris A. Pierce