|Introduction||Historical Background||Chronology||Geography||Biography||Technology||Ownership and Financing||General Bibliography|
|Middle Atlantic States||Pennsylvania||Bellefonte|
Bellefonte was settled in 1795 and incorporated in 1806.
The water system in Bellefonte was built by the Borough in 1807, taking water from a spring owned by James Smith. The next owner of the spring, James Harris, deeded it to the Borough in 1823.
Water is provided by the
1882 Bellefonte, from "The Water-Supply of Certain Cities and Towns of the United States," by Walter G. Elliot, C. E., Ph. D.
1883 Bellefonte, from Engineering News 10:135 (March 24, 1883)
1883 "Bellefonte Water-Works", from History of Centre and Clinton Counties, by John Blair Linn
1888 "Bellefonte," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 1.
1890 "Bellefonte," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 2.
1891 "Bellefonte," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 3.
1897 "Bellefonte," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 4.
County: From the Earliest Settlement to the year 1915. by J.
Page 29: James Smith, the owner of the land west of Spring Creek, which included the site of the "Big Spring," donated to the new borough of Bellefonte the right to take water therefrom in a limited way, which donation was later confirmed and increased by a specific deed from James Harris, the succeeding owner of the land around the spring. Also in the year, 1807, the Genreal Assembly selected Andrew Gregg, of Potter Township, as Senator of the United States.
During the following year Bellefonte began the construction of the first central water works in the county for the purpose of furnishing water to the houses of the town. A pump located at the site of the "Big Springs" forced the water into a reservoir on the Academy hill directly east of the spring. This basin was located under the north wind of the present building, from whence the water ran by gravity through wooden pipes to the various parts of the town.
Pages 35-36: 1820. In the same year many cases of dysentery occurred in the town, which was attributed to the leaky hydrants and wooden water pipes of the new water system, as well as the number of hogs, sheep and cattle which were allowed to roam at large over the town, and the consequent filthy condition of the streets and alleys.
© 2015 Morris A. Pierce