|Introduction||Historical Background||Chronology||Geography||Biography||Technology||Ownership and Financing||General Bibliography|
|Middle Atlantic States||Pennsylvania||Carlisle|
Carlisle was settled in 1751 and incorporated as a borough in 1782.
The Carlisle Gas and Water Company was incorporated in 1853 with Frederick Watts, William M. Berton, John Sanderson, Edward M. Biddle, Richard Parker, F. A. Kenedy, John B. Bratton, Lemuel Todd, Armstrong Noble, Charles Ogleby, Henry Saxton, James H. Graham, B. Beatty, James F. Lamberton, J. B. Parker, and George H. Hart appointed commissioners to sell stock "for making, raising and introducing into the borough of Carlisle a sufficient supply of gas and pure water." The company built gas and water systems in 1854.
The Carlisle Water Company was incorporated October 3, 1895 and began to install its own water system, but the existing company obtained an injunction blocking the construction and prevailed in the Pennsylvania Supreme Court due to the borough's ownership of shares in the company, which made it impossible to install a competing system..
In 1912 the Gas and Water Company built a modern hydroelectric plant and formed a wholly owned subsidiary, Carlisle Light, Heat and Power Company, which managed the firm's electric generating and distribution system. Lehigh Power Securities Corporation acquired both companies in 1925 and merged them into Pennsylvania Power & Light.
The borough bought the water system in 1931 for $375,000.
The Carlisle Borough Municipal Authority was formed by Borough Council in 1948 to take responsibility for acquiring, constructing, expanding, maintaining, operating, and financing waterworks and water distribution systems for the Borough of Carlisle. The borough continues to operate the system.
Water service is provided by the Borough of Carlisle.
1853 An act to incorporate the Carlisle Gas and Water Company. April 19, 1853.
1882 Carlisle, from Engineering News, 9:400 (November 18, 1882)
1882 Carlisle, from "The Water-Supply of Certain Cities and Towns of the United States," by Walter G. Elliot, C. E., Ph. D.
1888 "Carlisle," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 1.
1890 "Carlisle," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 2.
1891 "Carlisle," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 3.
1895 "Rival Water Companies," Harrisburg Patriot, September 30, 1895, Page 2.
1897 "Carlisle," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 4.
1897 Carlisle Gas and Water Company and W. M. Henderson, Jr., a taxpayer, for himself and other taxpayers, v. The Carlisle Water Company, The American Pipe Manufacturing Company, Contractor, and M. T. Quinn, Subcontractors, Appellants. 182 Pa. 17, July 16, 1897, Supreme Court of Pennsylvania.
1898 The Carlisle Gas and Water Company and Willilam M. Hnderson, Jr. v. The Carlisle Water Company,The American Pipe Manufacturing Company, Contractor, and M. T. Quinn, Subcontractors, 188 Pa. 51, October 17, 1898, Supreme Court of Pennsylvania.
Issue Approved by Carlisle Voters," Pittston Gazette, July
29, 1931, Page 2.
$375,000 to be paid to Pennsylvania Power & Light Company for the water system.
history of Carlisle and Carlisle Barracks, by Lieutenant
Colonel Thomas Grant Tousey, Medical Corps.
Pages 199-200: Up to this time the garrison had been supplied with drinking and cooking water from open draw wells in front of the various buildings, and with water for the animals, laundry purposes and fire protection, from cisterns sunk in the ground. The latter were filled by water collected on the roofs and fed into them through conduits. These cisterns were always a source of trouble due to their leaking so badly. In 1853, an Inspector General addressed a letter to the Quartermaster General, stating, "* * * It is proper in this connection to state that there is now constructing by a corporate association in the Town of Carlisle, 'Water Works' to supply that borough and that their main supply pipes will lead to within ¼ mile, perhaps a few yards of the garrison." The letter went on to state the President of the company was willing to convey water to the center of the post and there erect a fire plug and also erect two hydrants at the Post to supply as much water as needed for daily consumption-price not to exceed $200.00 per annum. An agreement was entered into with the Carlisle Gas & Water Company, Frederick Watts, President, for the installation of a combined fireplug and water hydrant in front of the commanding officer's quarters and in front of several other buildings.
© 2017 Morris A. Pierce