|Introduction||Historical Background||Chronology||Geography||Biography||Technology||Ownership and Financing||General Bibliography|
|Middle Atlantic States||Pennsylvania||Mount Joy|
Mount Joy was incorporated as a borough in 1851.
The borough was given authority to build water works in 1872 and built a system and used water and steam-power to pump water into an elevated reservoir. The works were completed and tested in June, 1875.
The Mount Joy Borough Authority was incorporated on December 8, 1948.
Water is provided by the Mount Joy Borough Authority.
1872 An act concerning a supply of water for the borough of Mount Joy. April 3, 1872.
1875 "Mount Joy Water Works," Lebanon Daily News, June 14, 1875, Page 1.
1881 Mount Joy, from Engineering News, 8:414 (October 15, 1881)
1882 Mount Joy from "The Water-Supply of Certain Cities and Towns of the United States," by Walter G. Elliot, C. E., Ph. D.
of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania: With Biographical Sketches of Many
of Its Pioneers and Prominent Men, by Franklin Ellis and
Page 605: Mount Joy Borough. Water-works add to the attractiveness of the town as a place of residence. They were built in 1873—74 by the borough, the action having been authorized by a vote taken in 1872. The borough secured water-supply and water-power by purchasing the old Hiestand mill, on Little Chikis Creek. The water is forced from there to a large reservoir on the on the ridge by the Mount Joy Cemetery, whence it flows through means to nearly all parts of town, affording an effective means for fighting fire, as well as for sprinkling the streets and grass-plats. The cost of the works, with the mill, was forty thousand dollars. The building committee consisted of Samuel Kurtz, William Kuhn, and John M. Brandt. From the first William Kuhn has been superintendent, and he is presently in that office.
1888 "Mount Joy," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 1.
1890 "Mount Joy," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 2.
1891 "Mount Joy," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 3.
1897 "Mount Joy," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 4.
© 2019 Morris A. Pierce