Documentary History of American Water-works

Introduction Historical Background Chronology Geography Biography Technology Ownership and Financing General Bibliography
Middle Atlantic States Pennsylvania New Castle

New Castle, Pennsylvania

New Castle in Schuylkill County was settled in 1800 and incorporated as a town in 1847.

The New Castle Water Company was incorporated in 1859 with Jacob Lindenmuth, Solomon Hoover, Robert Phillips, junior, George W. Slater, Ephraim Phillips, George W. Mortimer, Strange N. Palmer, Allen Fisher, and Benjamin N. Titus "for the purpose of introducing from Butcher creek, or other convenient source, into the said town of New Castle, sufficient supply of pure and wholesome water."  This company was organized in 1861 and advertised for 3,000 feet of four-inch cast iron pipe, but no evidence has been found that it actually built anything.




Weekly Miners' Journal (Pottsville, Pennsylvania),
January 26, 1861, Page 2.
Weekly Miners' Journal (Pottsville, Pennsylvania),
March 23, 1861, Page 2
Weekly Miners' Journal (Pottsville, Pennsylvania),
February 28, 1863, Page 2

The New Castle Township Water Company was incorporated in 1928 by the owners of the Pottsville Water Company to allow that company to expand their service territory.  The New Castle Water Company was sold to the Pottsville Water Company in 1929, and was in turn acquired by the Schuylkill County Municipal Authority on December 20, 1962.

Water service is provided by the Schuylkill County Municipal Authority.


References
1859 An act to incorporate the New Castle Water Company.  March 26, 1859.

1928 Department Reports of Pennsylvania, Volume 14, Part 2
Page 1661:  Incorporation of New Castle Township Water Company,







2017 Morris A. Pierce