|Introduction||Historical Background||Chronology||Geography||Biography||Technology||Ownership and Financing||General Bibliography|
|Middle Atlantic States||Pennsylvania||Shenandoah|
Shenandoah was incorporated as a borough in 1866.
The Shenandoah Citizens' Water and Gas Company was incorporated on February 24, 1870 and built a gravity system that began service that year.
The borough built its own water system in 1895, and both operated for the next 56 years, making Shenandoah one of the few boroughs in Pennsylvania with both public and private water systems.
The Municipal Authority of the Borough of Shenandoah was incorporated on October 14, 1941, and acquired the Shenandoah Citizen's Water and Gas Company, the Girard Water Company, and the Hammond Water Company for $1.6 million. The Municipal Authority also leased the borough's water system.
Water is provided by the Municipal Authority of the Borough of Shenandoah.
1870 An act to incorporate the Shenandoah Water and Gas Company. February 25, 1870.
By the name and style of the Shenandoah Citizens' Water and Gas Company.
1888 "Shenandoah," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 1.
1890 "Shenandoah," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 2.
1891 "Shenandoah," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 3.
and Portrait Cyclopedia of Schuylkill County Pennsylvania: Comprising
a Historical Sketch of the County, by Samuel T. Wiley
Page 166: Shenandoah Citizens' Water and Gas Company.—This company was incorporated in the spring of 1870, with a capital of $50,000, divided into 5,000 shares. Its first officers were; George A. Herring, president; George L. Reagan, secretary; Martin Delaney, treasurer. The first directors were William Grant, George G. Jacoby, Joseph Boehn, Orlando P. Hart, James G. Hutton and Jonathan Wasley. The town is well supplied with pure spring water, brought from Kehley Run and Locust Mountain. The present officers of the company are: S. D. Hess, president; J. O. Roads, secretary, and J. Wasley, treasurer. The Shenandoah Gas Light Company was organized June 4, 1884, with a capital stock of $25,000. The officers upon organization were: S. A. Beddall, president; H. A. Swalm, secretary and Dr. J. S. Kistler, treasurer. The present officers are: Dr. J. C. Callen, president; Dr. J. S. Kistler, secretary; George W. Beddall, treasurer.
Victory," The Daily Miners Journal (Pottville,
Pennsylvania), April 24, 1894, Page 1.
The Citizen's Water Company Must Get Out of the Way. The Shenandoah Citizens' Water and Gas Company vs. The Borough of SHenandoah.
1897 "Shenandoah," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 4.
Third Annual Report of the Commissioner of Health of the Commonwealth
Pages 1064-1068: Shenandoah, Schuylkill County.
1941 "Shenandoah Moves for Lease on Water Works," Sunbury Daily Item (Sunbury, Pennsylvania), November 19, 1941, Page 14.
1941 "Water Co. President Explains New Setup," December 31, 1941, Page 1 | Part 2 |
1942 "Shenandoah Takes Over Three Water Companies," Sunbury Daily Item (Sunbury, Pennsylvania), January 2, 1942, Page 10.
© 2019 Morris A. Pierce