|Introduction||Historical Background||Chronology||Geography||Biography||Technology||Ownership and Financing||General Bibliography|
|Middle Atlantic States||Pennsylvania||Tioga|
Tioga was incorporated as a borough in 1860.
The first water works were built in 1828 by Hobart B. Graves, who brought water in wooden pipes to his distillery on Wellsboro street. The pipes were pine logs with holes bored through them lengthwise and also served a few private residences. The system was abandoned after a few years due to the high water pressure.
Another system was built by were built by T.A. and Charles H. Wickham in 1874
The Tioga Water Works Company was incorporated on November 4, 1887 to take over the system.
The borough bought the water system in 1930 and the company was dissolved.
The Municipal Authority of the Borough of Tioga was incorporated on February 9, 1972.
Water is provided by the Municipal Authority of the Borough of Tioga.
1881 Tioga, from Engineering News, 8:414 (October 15, 1881)
1882 Tioga from "The Water-Supply of Certain Cities and Towns of the United States," by Walter G. Elliot, C. E., Ph. D.
of Tioga County, Pennsylvania
Page 276: The water works are another important and valuable result of the fire, which showed the necessity of having more convenient arrangements for the supply of water in such an extremity, and also for constant convenience in every household. Messrs. T. A. and Charles Wickham, the latter a practical civil engineer, conceived the idea of bringing to every house in the village an abundance of good fresh water from the Bentley, or Adams run, as it is called by the old settlers.
It was brought very nearly over the same course by which Captain Hobart B. Graves brought water in 1828 to his distillery on Wellsboro Street, in large pine pump-logs, of about two inches internal diameter, bored by hand. Several penstocks from the original pipe were put up at different houses at the center of the village, one at Dr. Willard's house, one at James Goodrich's, one at the Graves residence, and possibly others. The great pressure of the water at the foot of the hill, brought from so elevated a point as 300 feet, made it difficult for Mr. Graves to keep his pump-logs in order, and he at length abandoned their use. The writer remembers the dry old penstocks, standing for several years disused.
The present water works were commenced the 22nd of August 1874, and water was let into the pipe December 16th of the same year. The storage reservoir is a basin on the stream itself, with a 3˝ feet earth embankment, and a "puddle wall center," 300 feet long, having a capacity of 1,200,000 gallons, at an elevation of 330 feet above the village, and one mile distant from it. The distributing reservoir, built of stone and cement, lined with brick, stands on the brow of East Hill, over looking the village, at the height of 220 feet, and has a capacity of 750,000 gallons. There are four miles of distributing pipe laid, of the Wyckoff manufacture, of three and six inch sizes, and 15 fire hydrants, with 21 openings for the use of hose. The daily use of this water at present is from 300,000 to 500,000 gallons. To prevent a shortness of supply from the stream in case of drought, a 35 horse-power engine, with a pump of capacity of 1,000 gallons per minute, has been placed in the new saw-mill, with an underground communication with the river.
for Charter," Mansfield Advertiser, October 12, 1887, Page
Tioga Water Works Company
1888 "Tioga," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 1.
1890 "Tioga," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 2.
1891 "Tioga," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 3.
of Tioga County, Pennsylvania.
Page 518: Tioga water works. As early as 1828, Hobart Graves brought water in wooden pipes to his distillery, on Wellsboro street. The pipes were pine logs with holes bored through them lengthwise. A few private residences were also supplied by Mr. Graves. The great pressure, however, made it difficult to keep the pipes in repair, and they were finally abandoned to disuse and decay.
The Tioga Water Works Company was organized in 1874, with T. A. Wickham as superintendent, and Charles A. Wickham as engineer. Work was commenced August 22, of that year, and the water let into the pipes December 16. The water is brought from Bentley’s creek, over nearly the same course as that followed by Hobart Graves in 1828. The storage reservoir is a basin of the creek, 320 feet above the level of the borough, and has a capacity if 1,200,000 gallons. The distributing reservoir stands on the brow of East hill, 220 feet above the borough, and has a capacity of 750,000 gallons. The specific gravity system is used, and the consumption averages about 500,000 gallons. The company was incorporated January 20, 1888, with a capital of $15,000, divided into 600 shares, 476 shares being owned by Rufus S. Frost, of Chelsea, Massachusetts; eight shares by T. A. Wickham, and four each by Edward G. Schieffelin, Henry L. Baldwin, C. B. Farr and J. E. Sweetland, of Tioga. T. A. Wickham has been the superintendent of the company since its organization.
1897 "Tioga," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 4.
1930 Petition to dissolve the Tioga Water Works Company. May 12, 1930.
© 2019 Morris A. Pierce