|Introduction||Historical Background||Chronology||Geography||Biography||Technology||Ownership and Financing||General Bibliography|
||Wisconsin||Prairie du Chien|
Prairie du Chien was first settled by French explorers in the 1670s and incorporated as a city in 1872.
The Prarie du Chien Hydraulic Company 1856 by Samuel A. Clark, Hercules L. Dousman, B.F. Fay, J.S. Howell, and E.B. Quiner with the exclusive right for thirty years of "supplying said village (or city) of Prairie du Chien with water, by hydrants or otherwise, to protect it from the ravages of fire, as well as to afford a plentiful supply for domestic or other purposes." This company did not build anything.
The Prairie du Chien Artesian Well Company was incorporated in 1876 and supplied a number of customers from an artesian well.
The City built its own water system in 1902 distributing water from a shallow well using a steam pumping engine, which was replaced with electric power in 1915.
The City of Prairie du Chien purchased the Prairie du Chien Artesian Well Company in 1912 for $2,500. At the time it only had five customers.
Water is provided by the City of Prairie du Chien.
1856 An Act to incorporate the Prairie du Chien Hydraulic Company. October 2, 1856.
1882 Prairie du Chien, Engineering News, 9:58 (February 18, 1882)
1882 Prairie du Chien from "The Water-Supply of Certain Cities and Towns of the United States," by Walter G. Elliot, C. E., Ph. D.
1888 "Prairie du Chien," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 1.
1890 "Prairie du Chien," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 2.
1891 "Prairie du Chien," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 3.
1897 "Prairie du Chien," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 4.
1915 In re investigation and hearing, on motion of the commission, of the rates, services, and practices of the city of Prairie due Chien as a water utility, December 24, 1915. Railroad Commission of Wisconsin.
© 2017 Morris A. Pierce