|Introduction||Historical Background||Chronology||Geography||Biography||Technology||Ownership and Financing||General Bibliography|
|New England States||Massachusetts||Arlington|
Arlington was settled in 1635 and was incorporated as West Cambridge on February 27, 1807. On April 30, 1867 the name was changed to Arlington in honor of those buried in Arlington National Cemetery.
The Middlesex Aqueduct Company was incorporated on October 21, 1799 and constructed a system using wooden pipes, which were replaced with lead pipes around 1829. In 1907 the system served "at least two dozen families on Massachusetts avenue and Pleasant street."
The Spy Pond Water Company was chartered on February 7, 1855 by John Schouler, Edward Chapman, and Abel G. Peck, and the charter was amended on February 19, 1867. The name of the company was changed to the Arlington Lake Water Company on May 7, 1867. The company was authorized to take the waters of Sucker Brook in May 1871.
On August 16, 1871, voters in the Town of Arlington approved the purchase of the water system, which was confirmed by statute in 1873. The Town abandoned its water source and joined the Metrpolitan system in January,1899, and currently distributes water that is supplied by the Massachusetts Water Resources Authority.
1907 "Middlesex Aqueduct Company" from Town of Arlington, Past and Present: A Narrative of Larger Events and Important Changes in the Village Precinct and Town from 1637 to 1907 by Charles Symmes Parker
1907 "Arlington water works" from Town of Arlington, Past and Present: A Narrative of Larger Events and Important Changes in the Village Precinct and Town from 1637 to 1907 by Charles Symmes Parker
© 2015 Morris A. Pierce