|Introduction||Historical Background||Chronology||Geography||Biography||Technology||Ownership and Financing||General Bibliography|
|New England States||Massachusetts||Danvers|
Danvers was incorporated as a town in 1757.
The town built a water system in 1876 that used a steam engine to pump water into an elevated reservoir.
Water is provided by the Town of Danvers.
1874 An act to supply the town of Danvers with pure water. April 24, 1874.
1876 "Danvers Water Works," The Boston Globe, August 10, 1876, Page 4 | part 2 |
1882 Danvers, from Engineering News 9:123 (April 15, 1882)
1882 Danvers, from "The Water-Supply of Certain Cities and Towns of the United States," by Walter G. Elliot, C. E., Ph. D.
1888 "Danvers," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 1.
1890 "Danvers," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 2.
1891 "Danvers," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 3.
1897 "Danvers," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 4.
Massachusetts: a resume of her past history and progress, together
with a condensed summary of her industrial advantages and development
: biographies of prominent Danvers men and a series of comprehensive
sketches of her representative manufacturing and commercial
enterprises, by Frank E. Moynahan
Pages 63-64: Water Works. The Water Works Department is under the control of a board of water commissioners consisting of three members, one of whom is elected annually for a term of three years. In 1876 the State Insane Hospital joined with the town of Danvers in the establishment of the present water works, the expense to be borne partly by the State and partly by the town. Middleton and Swan's ponds at Middleton were selected as the source of supply, the water being of an exceptionally high quality. Owing to the elevation at which the Hospital stands, it became necessary to use high-pressure pumps to force the water into the reservoir on the summit of Hathorne hill, in close proximity to the Hospital. A large brick pumping station was erected at Middleton with two powerful engines capable of pumping 2,000,000 gallons of water daily. The state contributed $12,500 towards the expense, erected a reservoir on Hathorne hill with a capacity of 5,000,000 gallons, and agreed to pay the town in addition $1,000 a year for twenty years for its water. This agreement expired in December, 1896 and has not been renewed, the matter now being in course of adjustment by a commission appointed by the Supreme Court. In 1897 the town erected the reservoir on Wills hill, Middleton, with a capacity of 1,500,000 gallons. This reservoir has proven a great success and has reduced the pressure on the force main from 80 to 60 pounds, which is a distinct advantage, as formerly such a large quantity of water was forced through so small a pipe that the main was necessarily affected by the throbbing of the pumps. Under the new conditions the coal has nearly twelve per cent, higher efficiency and twentyfive per cent, more water than formerly could be pumped in the same time. The latest report of the board of water commissioners sows that 226,281,176 gallons were pumped during the year. There are 44 miles of service piping, and 1,700 families are supplied with water. The town is abundantly supplied with fire hydrants, 229 being distributed within its limits.
© 2018 Morris A. Pierce