|Introduction||Historical Background||Chronology||Geography||Biography||Technology||Ownership and Financing||General Bibliography|
|New England States||Massachusetts||Easthampton|
Easthampton was incorporated as a town in 1809.
The Easthampton Aqueduct Company was incorporated in 1867 by Horatio G. Knight, Joel L. Bassett and Seth Warner "for the purpose of furnishing the inhabitants of Easthampton with pure water," but no evidence has been found that the company built anything.
The town built a fire protection system in 1870 or 1873 that used pumps in local mills to force water through pipes to fire hydrants. A more robust water system was built in 1888.
Water is provided by the
town of Easthampton.
1866 History of Easthampton: its settlement and growth; its material, educational, and religious interests, together with a genealogical record of its original families, by Payson Williston Lyman
1867 An act to supply the town of Easthampton with pure water. March 18, 1867.
Address Delivered at the Centennial Celebration, in Easthampton,
Mass., July 4, 1876, by Payson Williston Lyman
Page 79: There is also a regularly organized and thoroughly equipped fire department, of which E. T. Sawyer is chief, and E. R. Bosworth and Wm. Hill, assistants. Pipes have been laid through the principal streets (in all 6,500 feet of iron pipe) with hydrants at proper intervals. There are at the upper mills no less than five pumps, each connecting with these pipes and capable of forcing water through the village. One is a Bucket Plunger steam pump of the largest size, owned by the town. There are two other steam pumps, and two rotary pumps run by water power, which are owned by the corporations. In case of fire, force can be instantly applied sufficient to lift a stream of water over any building within reach of a hydrant. The Williston Mills village is protected in the same way by a pump at each mill. Several of the corporations have trained hose companies, and there is besides in the town a hose company, a hook and ladder company, and the old Manhan engine company, all of which forces are under the command of the fire engineers.
1888 "Easthampton," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 1.
of the water supplies and inland waters of Massachusetts. 1887-1890,
Page 116: Water supply of Easthampton.
The works are owned by the town. Water was introduced in 1870.
1890 "Easthampton," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 2.
1891 An act to supply the town of Easthampton with water. April 28, 1891.
1891 "Easthampton," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 3.
1897 "Easthampton," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 4.
Industrial history of Easthampton," by G. B. Dennis, MS Thesis,
University of Massachusetts Amherst
Pages 23-24: The Hendricks deserve special mention in connection with the development of the town because one of their members discovered and donated the present water supply. Prior to his gift in the latter part of the 1800's the question of acquiring a suitable supply of water was a serious problem. At the present time it may be said that Easthampton has as good water as any place in the United States. It is supplied by artesian wells and is never exposed to daylight till it comes from the faucet. It is always clear and nearly as cold as ice. In contrast to the deplorable conditions which prevail in manysmall towns Easthampton has an important advantage.
© 2018 Morris A. Pierce