|Introduction||Historical Background||Chronology||Geography||Biography||Technology||Ownership and Financing||General Bibliography|
||New Jersey||Long Branch|
Long Branch was formed as the Long Branch Commission in 1867 and incorporated as a city in 1903.
The Long Branch Reservoir and Water Power Company was incorporated on April 11, 1867 by Joseph H. Cooper, John Hoey, Charles Chamberlain, Samuel Laird, A. S. Bright, E. Boudinet Colt, Charles Stetson, J. Lester Wallack and Francis Corlies"to supply the town of Long Branch and the surrounding county, with good and wholesome water in quantities sufficient for all the purposes which may conduce to the safety, health and comfort of the citizens."
The company purchased Whale Brook Pond in 1875 and water was first used in June, 1877. The construction was supervised by James M. Loweree of Red Bank, who later developed the water works in Houston, Texas.
The Long Branch Water Supply Company was organized November 3, 1882.
The Tintern Manor Water Company was organized August 6, 1901 to consolidate the Long Branch Water Supply Company, Middletown Water Company, Deal Water Company, and Sea Bright Water Company.
The Tintern Manor Water Company was bought by the American Water Works and Electric Company in 1926.
Water is provided by New Jersey American Water.
1867 An act to incorporate the Long Branch Reservoir and Water Power Company. April 11, 1867.
act to revive certain acts and to legalize and ratify proceedings
thereunder. March 24, 1874
Long Branch Reservoir and Water Power Company.
Journal (Matawan, New Jersey), December 16, 1876, Page 2.
The Long Branch water works are now a fixed fact. The stock has all been subscribed, and Mr. J. M. Loweree, of Red Bank - an able manager - is to superintend the work.
1877 "The Long Branch Water Works," The Monmouth Inquirer, June 28, 1877, Page 3.
1877 "On the Beach Progress of the Season at Long Branch," New York Herald, August 20, 1877, Page 6.
of Monmouth County, New Jersey, by Franklin Ellis.
Page 773: The Long Branch Water Supply Company is the successor of the Long Branch Reservoir and Water Company, which was incorporated April 11, 1867, with a capital stock of twenty-five thousand dollars and with the following corporators : Joseph H. Cooper, John Hoey, Charles Chamberlain, Samuel Laird, A. S. Bright, E. Boudinot Colt, Charles A. Stetson, J. Lester Wallack and Francis Corlies. Nothing of any importance was accomplished by this company during the seven years next following its incorporation. On March 15, 1874, the company was revived by act of Legislature. The right of Whale Pond Brook was purchased for a water supply, and Green's Pond (now Takanassee Lake) was brought into use as a reservoir. Contract was made with Jesse W. Starr & Sons, of Camden, to erect thee works and to lay mains. The work was commenced January 1, 1877, under the management of Berkenbine, engineer. The mains were laid through Cedar Avenue, Ocean Avenue and Main Street to the corporate limits. The water was first used in June, 1877. Pipes were extended as required, and in "1879 attachment was made with the pipes of the Monmouth Beach and Seabright Water Company. In November, 1882, a consolidation of these companies was effected under the present name and present management.
The water system of Long Branch extends from Elberon to Seabright, about ten miles. Over fifteen miles of pipes are laid.
1888 "The Hyatt Filtering Plant at Long Branch, N.J.," Engineering News, 20:280 (October 13, 1888)
1888 "Long Branch," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 1.
1890 "Long Branch," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 2.
1891 "Long Branch," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 3.
1897 "Long Branch," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 4.
a nation; the career of Long Branch
Pages 103-104: Long Branch's public water service dates back to the formation of the first company in 1877. The Long Branch Reservoir and Water Company was originally incorporated ten years earlier with a capital of $25,000. Joseph H. Cooper, John Hoey, Charles Chamberlain, Samuel Laird, A. S. Bright, E. Boudinet Colt, Charles Stetson, J. Lester Wallack and Francis Corlies were the incorporators. It was not, however, until 1874 that Whale Brook Pond was purchased for the water supply and Takanassee Lake for a reservoir. The route of the first mains, through Cedar Avenue, Ocean Avenue and Main Street, showed that, as in the case of gas service, the hotels and large cottages came first, the town second.
The first water was used in June 1877, but it was August of the succeeding year before the first tap was installed in the home of William A. Gawtrey. Pipes were extended throughout the town as it was found expedient.
George F. Baker, the prominent New York banker and railroad president, was the first head of the Long Branch Reservoir and Water Company. In 1882 pipes were extended to connect with those of the Monmouth Beach and Sea Bright Water Company.
The companies were merged into the Long Branch Water Supply Company and the system ran from Sea Bright to Elberon, a distance of about ten miles.
1918 City of Long Branch v. Tintern Manor Water Company, September 18, 1917, New Jersey Board of Public Utilities Commissioners.
Water Co. Sold to N.Y. Firm," Asbury Park Press, May 2,
1925, Page 1.
American Water Works and Electric Company Buys Big Shore System.
It is generally believed that the sales price was in the vicinity of $2,500,000. Five years ago the company made a proposal of sale to the New Jersey North District Water Supply Commission at that figure. That offer was not accepted.
© 2018 Morris A. Pierce