|Introduction||Historical Background||Chronology||Geography||Biography||Technology||Ownership and Financing||General Bibliography|
|Middle Atlantic States||New York||Gilboa|
The Village of Gilboa was settled about 1760.
The Gilboa Aqueduct Company was incorporated in 1849 by Sidney Tuttle, John Reed, James P. Bogardus, Samuel W. Jackson, Nelson Fanning, Jacob Morse, Warren P. Street, George Lawrence and William B. Hays for the "purpose of supplying the said village of Gilboa with pure and wholesome water." The company built a system using wood logs, which were replaced with iron pipes starting in 1881. The system proved to be inadequate to the needs of the community, and in 1901 the Gilboa Water Company was incorporated, purchased the aqueduct company, and built a new gravity water system.
The Village of Gilboa was condemned and razed in the 1920s to allow construction of the Schoharie Reservoir for the New York City water system. The Town of Gilboa does not have a public water system.
1849 An act to incorporate the Gilboa Aqueduct Company. April 11, 1849.
1850 An act to amend an act to incorporate the Gilboa Aqueduct Company, passed April 11, 1849. April 1, 1850.
The Gilboa Monitor, November 17, 1881, Page 5.
M. H. Becker, President of the Gilboa Aqueduct Co., has gone to New York to purchase iron pipe to be used in place of the old street pump logs.
Gilboa Monitor, July 30, 1885, Page 3.
The Gilboa Aqueduct Company is making preparations to relay the line with iron pipe.
1901 "The Gilboa Aqueduct Company Voted to Sell," The Gilboa Monitor, September 26, 1901, Page 3.
1915 "Gilboa Water Supply," Thirty-Sixth Annual Report of the State Department of Health for the year ending December 31, 1915.
1921 "Gilboa Water Supply," Forty-Second Annual Report of the State Department of Health for the year ending December 31, 1921.
Water Supply in Gilboa Village," by Lee Hudson, Gilboa
Historical Society Quarterly, 17(4):13-18 (Winter 2015)
© 2016 Morris A. Pierce