|Introduction||Historical Background||Chronology||Geography||Biography||Technology||Ownership and Financing||General Bibliography|
|Middle Atlantic States||New York||Little Falls|
The City of Little Falls was first settled around 1723.
The Aqueduct Association in the Village of Little-Falls was incorporated in 1806 by William Alexander, William Carr, Clark Shurtleff, Daniel Bellows, Samuel F. Hooker and Robert Beasley "for supplying the village of Little-Falls, in the county of Herkimer, with water by means of conduits or aqueducts."
In 1888 the Aqueduct
Association supplied water to four hotels and 168 other customers.
Nancy M. Boyer had acquired all of the firm's capital stock in 1883,
making her the first women to wholly own a water company.
Unfortunately in 1886 the Village of Little Falls installed its own water
works system and destroyed the older aqueduct pipes. Boyer sued the
Village for damages and won.
The Bellinger water-works company at Little-Falls was incorporated in 1833 by Christopher P. Bellinger, Richard N. Casler, Henry Heath, George H. Feeter, John Dygert, Moses Drake, Zenas C. Priest and Arphaxed Loomis "for the purpose of effectually supplying with water that part of the said village lying on the south side of the Mohawk river." No further information has been found about this company.
The Little Falls
Water-works company was incorporated in 1872 by Zenas C. Priest, William
I. Skinner, Harry Burrell, Lorenzo Carryl, John P. Shaver, Jean R.
Stebbins, Martin W. Priest, Charles Benedict, Titus Sheard, Joshua J.
Gilbert, Watts T. Loomis, Seth M. Richmond and Wells Sponable "to procure
and furnish a supply of pure and wholesome water for the village of Little
Falls." No further information has been found about this company.
In 1886, the village proposed building a water system under the 1875 village water works law, while a separate 1886 law formed a board of water commissioners for the City. They built a system that was completed in 1888 and used salt-glazed vitrified pipe.
The City of Little Falls currently provides water service.
1806 An act to incorporate an Aqueduct Association in the Village of Little-Falls, in the County of Herkimer, March 14, 1806.
1826 An act to amend an Act, entitled " An Act to incorporate the Aqueduct Association in the Village of Little Falls, in the County of Herkimer," passed March 14, 1806, April 14, 1826.
1833 An act to incorporate the Bellinger water-works company at Little-Falls, April 29, 1833.
1872 An act to incorporate the Little Falls Water-works Company, February 16, 1872.
1886 An act to transfer the duties of water commissioners of the village of Little Falls to a board of water commissioners, and to create such board, February 11, 1886
1886 An act entitled “An act to authorize the village of Little Falls to supply its inhabitants with pure and wholesome water and to issue bonds to raise money for such purpose,” March 8, 1886.
1888 “The use of Salt Glazed Vitrified Pipe,” by Stephen. E. Babcock, C. E. Proceedings of the Annual American Water Works Association 8:20-46 Paper read at the Cleveland Convention of American Water-Works Association, April 17, 1888. Description and discussion of clay pipe installed at Amsterdam and Little Falls.
1888 "The Use of Salt Glazed Vitrified Pipe in Water-Works Conduits," by Stephen E. Babcock, C.E., Proceedings of the Annual Conference of the American Water Works Association 9:29-46 (April 1888) Also includes information on wood stave conduits.
1888 "The Use of Salt Glazed Vitrified Pipe in Water-Works Conduits," by Stephen E. Babcock, C.E., Engineering News 19:331-333 (April 28, 1888)
1888 "Little Falls," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 1.
1890 "Little Falls," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 2.
1891 "Little Falls," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 3.
1892 "Protection of Exposed Water Mains Crossing Bridges," from Engineering News 27:519-520 (May 19, 1892)
1895 Use of Vitrified Pipe, from Engineering News 34:283 (October 24, 1895)
1897 "Little Falls," from Manual of American Water Works, Volume 4.
1896 Nancy M. Boyer vs. Village of Little Falls, Reports of cases heard and determined in the Appellate Division of the Supreme Court of the State of New York, Volume 5. Decision of the court in favor of Boyer.
M. Boyer vs. Village of Little Falls, Supreme Court.
Appellate Division - Fourth Department. Records of the case.
© 2015 Morris A. Pierce