|Introduction||Historical Background||Chronology||Geography||Biography||Technology||Ownership and Financing||General Bibliography|
|Technology||Cast Iron Pipe||Cast Iron Pipe List|
|1796||Philadelphia||PA||The President and Managers of the Delaware and Schuylkill Canal advertised for cast-iron pipe "to supply the City of Philadelphia with water."|
||New York City||NY||400
dollars per foot, including the putting down."
||Robeson & Paul,
Philadelphia merchants who were running the Weymouth Furnace at
Atsion, N. J.
||"Directions have been
given to place these pipes, fourteen in number, each six feet long,
under the greatest pressure of the water, in order to prove a method
of securing their joints, which it is supposed will be substantial,
and cheaper than the common mode." Cost of pipe was $1.53 per
|1807||3||Baltimore||MD||2½ to 6
||Samuel Hughes, who had
bought the Principio Furnace in 1785.
||"contracted in June, 1805,
with Samuel Hughes, of Harford County, for a supply of cast-iron
pipes ranging from two and a half to six inches, at from sixty-five
dollars to eighty dollars per ton."
||Holley & Coffing,
||"a bore of six inches
diameter, three feet in length, and five eights of an inch thick"
"conveyed in a six-inch pipe for a distance of about three miles" Replaced wood logs.
|1819||6||New Orleans||LA||8||Suction pipe for steam engine|
||Approximately 700 feet from pump to reservoir
||Messrs. Galloway and Bowman of Manchester, England (?)
||900 feet of 8 inch pipe from pump to reservoir, 1¼ miles laid by 1821, 12 miles by 1828. No wood pipes were used.|
||3,150 feet of 8-inch cast
iron pipe were installed in 1822. Additional cast-iron pipes
were installed in 1840, and by 1845 a total of five miles of
cast-iron pipe was in place.
|1822||11||Columbia||TN||1822 Spring - Mr. Durant lays first iron pipe for water supply from Whites Spring to Columbia town Square.|
||3 & 4
||"About 360 feet running measure to have a bore of 4 inches
diameter, and the remainder, about 1340 feet, to have a bore of two
and a quarter inches diameter."
|1829||18||Columbia||PA||those made of iron put in their place, at an expense of between
three and four thousand dollars.
|1829||19||Lynchburg||VA||The water is raised from a pump-house, on the margin of the river, to a reservoir, 245 feet above the surface of the water in the river, a distance of 2000 feet! The pump is a double forcing pump—diameter of the pump barrel, nine inches—it operates with a stroke of the piston, of four and a half inches—by a breast water wheel, 17 1-2 feet diameter; length of buckets, 8 feet. Under a useful head of water of 7 feet 9 inches, and fall of 2 feet 6 inches, the water is raised thro' cast-iron pipes 7 inches in diameter from a quarter to three-quarters of an inch thick, varying according to the degree of pressure they have to sustain.|
|1829||20||Winchester||VA||Pipes were delivered from Philadelphia.|
|1830||21||Detroit||MI||Three-inch iron pipe from pumping engine
||4 & 6
||Anthony W. Vanleer's Cumberland Furnace
||Messrs. Vanleer and Co. for a further supply of iron pipe; and the
city, is by that contract, responsible for 2,000 feet of six-inch
iron pipe, and 5,000 feet of iron pipe four inches in diameter
||Samuel and Thomas S. Richards of Philadelphia
||The cast iron main from the pumps to the reservoir, is 2,400 feet long, 8 inches diameter and for 450 feet from the pump is ¾ of an inch thick, and for the remaining distance of 1,950 feet to the reservoir is only 9-16 of an inch in thickness.|
|1833||26||Nashville||TN||Iron pipes were laid from the reservoir to Broad Street, and up Second Avenue to the Square. The system was built by twelve Negro slaves bought by the city.|
|1834||27||Salem||MA||6||From North Street down Essex Street as far as Newbury Street.|
|1836||31||Pottsville||PA||3,500||6||Eckert and Guilford||Also 700 feet of 4 inch pipe|
||"the water was pumped through 'cast metal aqueducts,' into a
cistern about 100 rods away.'
|1840||37||Rochester||NY||6||Installed by A. J. Langworthy|
|1840||38||York||PA||11,436||3 to 7||Small and Geiger, now Smyser-Royer Company||Prices from $0.37½ to $1.10 per foot|
|1841||40||Harrisburg||PA||31,613||4 to 12||Ellicott & Brothers||Cost $40,253.74 "including lead and freight"|
|1848||45||Haverhill||MA||6||The town paid the additional cost of installing a 6 inch pipe over the 5 inch pipe proposed by the company.|
|1848||46||Akron||OH||Akron Cold Spring Water Company
|1850||50||Burlington||VT||"They have threaded our streets with iron conductors."
|1852||51||Buffalo||NY||Rossie Iron Works in Ogdensburgh
||George Parish, who owned the Rossie Iron Works in Ogdensburgh,
also took $125,000 in stock, for which he provided the iron pipes
for the water system. 31 miles of pipe installed by
||Iricks & Co., Lumberton NJ||4 to 10 inches diameter
|1854||53||Sacramento||CA||Glasgow||Purchased by George Gordon of the Vulcan Iron Works, in anticipation of the city building water works.|
|1854||55||Chicago||IL||8 ¾ miles
|1865||74||Chattanooga||TN||England?||System built by the Union Army with several miles of cast-iron pipe|
© 2017 Morris A. Pierce